Director Environmental Health and Safety
Posted on: September 15, 2023
Who we are
With its A.I.-powered robotic technology platform, Symbotic is
changing the way consumer goods move through the supply chain.
Intelligent software orchestrates advanced robots in a
high-density, end-to-end system - reinventing warehouse automation
for increased efficiency, speed and flexibility.
What You'll Do
Symbotic is looking for a Director of Environmental Health and
Safety (EHS) to drive Symbotic's culture and behavior to achieve
world class results in people safety and environmental stewardship.
This person will represent Symbotic's Safety program with
customers, vendor, partners and suppliers and track the progress of
involvement. As the Director of EHS, you will serve as the leader
for safety across operations and lead cross-functional teams to
manage and respond to any safety-related incidents from the time of
incident through driving to complete corrective
In This Role
- Manage the requirements of Product Safety, Workplace Safety and
Customer Installation Safety.
- Implement standards for EHS management (OSHA, EPA, ANSI, IOS,
NEC, IEC, DOT) and ensure compliance with local safety and
environmental regulations as well as federal regulations.
- Identify and develop safety dashboard and relevant metrics and
KPIs to reduce the safety risk across the Symbotic enterprise.
- Develop and maintain rigorous monitoring and implementation
(enforcement) methodology to reach a heightened level of respect
and adherence for safety requirements, rules, and policies.
- Create a safety governance model and training aimed setting the
foundation for Symbotic safety culture.
- Partner with various Engineering and Customer Operations teams
to support safe equipment design, and with various internal
business units, as well as with third party service providers and
end-user customers, to ensure the safe deployment, operations, and
use of equipment.
- Design, develop and implement field escalation protocols and
communication plans related to safety events and regularly audit
the effectiveness of such measures through formal and informal
- Manage this process at all levels of the company, including
providing regular reports to the senior operations leadership in a
monthly and quarterly cadence.
- Create Symbotic safety guidelines for suppliers, vendors, and
- Partnering with others within the organization, support
effective change management by performing safety risk assessments,
design reviews and regulatory compliance reviews on equipment and
- Develop a hiring plan for direct-hire, contract hire, and
consulting support to address coverage for all projects.
- Selects, develops, and evaluates staff to ensure the efficient
operation of the function. Works with and advises staff on
administrative policies and procedures.
- Review all safety documentation/reports for accuracy and
completeness; ensure all required documents are forwarded to the
appropriate governmental agencies per regulations and to the
company insurance carrier per their requirement.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree in safety, Environmental Sciences or related
Engineering disciplines, or closely related field; master's degree
- Minimum of 10 years (I would reduce this requirement) '
experience in EHS Management.
- Demonstrable experience in machinery safety engineering with
good working knowledge of functional safety.
- Knowledge of OSHA and region-specific regulations and relevant
machine related NFPA, ANSI, ISO, UL, IEC etc. standards.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
- Experience developing and implementing structured investigative
- Experience identifying and implementing process improvements in
an operation environment.
- Experience working closely with cross functional, diverse teams
with demonstrable record of driving machinery safety standards
across large multi-site businesses.
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including
comfort with interacting at all levels of an organization.
Physical Requirements (Travel to our Sites)
- Travel is required: Employee must have a valid driver's license
and the ability to drive and/or fly to client and other customer
- The employee is responsible to own a credit card and manage
expenses personally to be reimbursed on a bi-weekly basis.
- Our main office is in Wilmington, MA. The person taking this
position will be required to perform work at our customer
installation locations for extended periods of time.
- The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with
hands and arms.
- The employee is routinely required to work at heights of up to
45 feet and within restrictive areas of 24 inches. to stand; climb
or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
Note: Should this be the same as the ones below.
- Must comply with all safety requirements and protocols,
including without limitation Lock out tag out safety protocols and
fall protection safety protocols.
- Approximately 75% of time will be spent on a construction site
with PPE required (hard hat, safety vest, steel toes, eyeglasses,
ear protection, fall protection (e.g., safety harness).
- There will be steep stairs to climb into the structure.
- You will regularly be near railings that are high off the
- Subject to environmental conditions, protection from weather
conditions but not necessarily temperature changes. Must be capable
of working in temperatures ranging from 105 to 32 Fahrenheit.
Symbotic is an automation technology leader reimagining the supply
chain with its end-to-end, AI-powered robotic and software
platform. Symbotic reinvents the warehouse as a strategic asset for
the world's largest retail, wholesale, and food & beverage
companies. Applying next-gen technology, high-density storage and
machine learning to solve today's complex distribution challenges,
Symbotic enables companies to move goods with unmatched speed,
agility, accuracy and efficiency. As the backbone of commerce the
Symbotic platform transforms the flow of goods and the economics of
supply chain for its customers. For more information, visit .
We are a community of innovators, collaborators and pioneers who
embrace our differences, because we know unique perspectives make
us stronger and smarter. Every perspective matters. We depend on
the collective voices of our employees, customers and community to
help guide us as we build a better place to work - for you and the
world. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity
We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry,
religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age,
citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity,
gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Keywords: Symbotic, Arlington , Director Environmental Health and Safety, Executive , Arlington, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!